Monday, April 9, 2012

Venture of Newport updates

Just a little history on my sailboat, that remains nameless right now.  From what the previous owner had told me, I am the third owner of her.  The first owner, had passed away and I assume left the boat in the water for a long period of time due to the pretty messy underside.  The previous owner bought her a little over a year ago, with the intention of fixing her up but never had a chance.  The boat sat in her yard for a period of time until I bought it.  I have no clue how long it has been since she has had a bath, but she was filthy.  She still partially is, but I have been slowly cleaning her up.  There are stains, that I have yet to have been able to remove.. 

If that were not enough, on the 60 mile transit to my house, the bunk supporting the starboard side broke in two pieces creating two rather large indents.  Plus there are numerous areas where the gelcoat has been worn away, and several spider cracks on the pop top, and under the mast step.  What can I say this was a $600 sailboat, the previous owner trailered here here for free, and the trailer is in excellent shape.




Here is the interior when the boat was still at the PO's home.  There are a lot of stains in the gelcoat.  The cabin roof has no gelcoat, it is just paint over fiberglass which is flaking.  There is also some carpeting that looks to be in okay shape.  Amazingly, the cushions do not have any stench to them, I imagine they were stored inside.







I've cleaned up a bit here using soft scrub, the boat is a little dirty as I have been in and out of it quite a bit and needs to be cleaned again.  I haven't touched the ceiling yet but plant to eventually get rid of the old paint and repaint it using Rustoleum topside paint.








The deck, after she was brought to my house.  Pretty dirty right now.  The entire sailboat is.












A little bit of soft scrub, I'm not sure what the black stains are from.  I'm going to use a bit of acid to burn them out :D











There was quite a bit of gunk on the bottom, I have cleaned the port side.  Check out all of those blisters!!  I'm not sure what I am going to do about them, but it is a $600 boat.. and a trailer sailor.  I think I might just leave them there.









With hardly any effort on my part, she is much cleaner.  I used Sno Bol, toilet cleaner.  It took about two hours of applying it on, every fifteen minutes.  A tiny bit of scrubbing was involved, but it was not labor intensive.  I still need to clean it up a bit more but the worst part is over.  Couldn't get under the bunks unfortunately.










Above are the two indents I was speaking of, they really gave me a scare.. but..




My father came down, and we did a quick fix of the bunk.  We just laid another board under the broken one.. We will do a better job once we have had time to build a cradle to support her better.  To do this, we assembled a quick cradle to lift her a bit off of the trailer from the stern side.  Raised the front of the trailer and lowered the bunk bed to place the plank in.  







Do you see that?  Those two indents popped out, I can't even tell they were once there!  They scared the hell out of me but there seems to be no damage.  I inspected under the dinette and see no signs of damage.









In the near future, I'll be pulling her out of my front yard and putting her to the side of my house to do the work.  My father will come down to help me build a cradle to support her so we can properly place new trunks in.

My plans so far are:
* Clean gunk off of starboard side.
* Move to the side of the house.
* Build a proper cradle.
* Replace bunks.
* Do a bit of gelcoat repair.
* Replace wood trim.
* Replace the back stay.
* Build a mast raising system.

That really is all there is to it, as I can see right now.  Perhaps I will find a few things in the future, that need to be replaced, but so far it doesn't look too bad.  Now, I have to replace the tierods in my Windstar.

No comments:

Post a Comment