Wednesday, June 19, 2013

First day at labor ready

Well, I had my first job at labor ready.  It was on a garbage truck, I was the guy hanging on the back tossing all of the garbage in the truck.  It is a lot harder than I thought it would be, I've got bruises all over my arms from bumping into the truck.

Much respect to the garbage men out there, it is incredibly tough work.  I made it about four hours before I started to feel exhausted, dizzy, and out of breath.  At 250lbs I am incredibly out of shape, I think I may have been suffering from heat exhaustion.  At that point, I kept having micronaps on the back of the truck clinging on as hard as I could.  I ultimately decided to inform the driver that I couldn't do it for much longer and they should contact another person to take over.  I stayed another two hours working on the back while waiting for my replacement.

I was afraid I was going to pass out and fall off the truck, there isn't much room back there it is basically just a step you stand on, and you hold on to a few bars.  Going 40mph at times, while feeling really dizzy and all the strength being sapped out of you can be a frightening experience.

To top it off, I have huge blisters on my feet from going to Disney world last week, they got much worst after this ordeal and now I can't walk.

Labor ready was top notch about the whole ordeal, they told me they would find something else, I'm gonna take off tomorrow though in the hopes that my feet heal enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment