Friday, June 7, 2013

I'm a horrible salesman

I had finally gotten a job, it was selling magazines over the phone, all the calls were inbound, the pay would have averaged about ten dollars an hour, but I couldn't do it.  The thing is, the people calling in received a letter telling them they could win a million dollars, and all they had to do is call in a number and place an entry.

My job, was to try to sell them magazines.  Four attempts at selling magazines had to be made, with each attempt you had to read off a script of several magazines, then nearly demand them buy them.  It felt like bullying, really.  The worst part is, at the beginning of the call you would try to be as friendly as possible with them, then after you gained their trust you pushed your pitch.  It felt so manipulating, grimy, and went against my morals.

The clientele almost exclusively was the elder, people in their 80's who wanted the money to give to charity or their family, most were ill, in poverty, and just couldn't afford the $60 a year commitment, for  four years, many didn't even feel they would live that long.

I would rather be digging ditches, knocking down concrete, or any other physically demanding jobs than be the sort of person that bullies around the elderly.  I gave it my best for three days, and it made me sick to my stomach.  I felt like such a scumbag, and had to detach myself entirely to get through the calls.  At the end of the work day, I would feel like a sleaze bag.

I couldn't see myself doing this seven to eight hours a day, five days a week.  So, it is back to surveys, and perhaps labor ready.. and continuing college.  

I've got to wonder, is this all life has to offer a high school graduate anymore?  I can't work in an environment  where the objective is to scam people out of their money, I can't work at a place where I am not allowed to be myself.  I'm not the sort of person, that likes to take advantage of anyone.  I am the sort of person, that loves to help other people, without expecting them to purchase my product.  For example, fixing things such as computers.  I wouldn't want to sell people computers, just fix them at a reasonable rate.

I'm really missing my old job, working in IT.  If only there were more demand for it now.  For now, I'll just work for my self.  The pay is lousy, but at the very least I can sleep at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment