Saturday, June 22, 2013

Second day at labor ready

Ouch, it hurt.  This time, we were at Saint Leo college and the work involved moving two desks, two large night stands, two dressers, and a large cabinet to each dormitory room.  Oh, this was mostly on the second floor, with no elevator.

Four straight hours, of lifting things up to a second floor took a major toll on me.  Mind you, I stayed on the stair well most of the time lifting the furniture up the stairs over and over again.  People would cart the furniture to the bottom of the stairs where I and others would grab it, we would climb the stairs with the furniture, place it on other carts where they would be pushed away by other people.  This was a non stop flow, we would get to the top of the stairs with the furniture, and more would be waiting for us at the bottom.  There were many times where I had to stop for a few seconds, catch my breath, drink some water get yelled at, and get back at it.  By the time it hit 12:00 we finally had a break, the hour promised to us for the nine hour day.

I drank a bit of Gatorade felt better, and the next three hours we repeated the process.  The last hour we went from room to room, taking the furniture out of the cardboard and throwing it in the recycling bin.

Two weeks ago I weighed in at 257, today I was 242.

Yeah, the labor is that hard.  I'm sticking with it though, I know it will get easier as my body adjusts.

The sad thing though, is that for working that hard I only made $54 for eight hours..

2 comments:

  1. Yep, it is hard work but my body is slowly adjusting. I've managed to get a part time job, loading and unloading trucks at a thrift store so I don't need to go to labor ready as often now.

    ReplyDelete