Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Woot, another job!

As I had planned a few days back, I decided to give Labor Ready a shot.  I already am getting phone calls for work, so I am once again gainfully employed.  I am a bit worried, as this is one of the lowest rungs in the work force.

I don't mean to sound discriminatory here, I am a poor person after all.  I just know that at this level, we have criminals, and people that are here due to extremely poor life decisions.  Last week, when I went in to apply there was a guy there talking loudly on his cell, complaining about how he was fired for doing drugs on the job.  That is the sort of thing that worries me, people with a nasty attitude on drugs, first because I would rather not deal with an idiot that is prone to violence, and second because I don't want to rely on someone at a work site who is drugged up and not paying attention.  I really don't want to deal with some sicko scumbag either, nor do I want to have people trying to do criminal activities near me.

I hope to find more people working there such as myself, live and let live types, who are there more so because conflicts of schedule, or are just down on their luck.  If I am to believe what I have read on the internet, a lot of people that work there are felons, crack heads, and all sort of nasty.  I don't know, perhaps I am lucky because I live in a nice town.  Outside of that one guy that was fired, most of the people I saw there were nice.

On the plus side, I have a job where I can work whenever I want.  I will be outside, doing hard labor, so I will lose weight, I will be learning new skills, and we may just be able to have air conditioning throughout the house for the summer.

For now, I am going to be assigned to working on the back of garbage trucks, slinging the garbage.  I don't mind that, to be honest.  It is honest work, it may be harder than working on the phone, I'll smell trash all day, but at the very least I won't feel like it by trying to con people out of their money.

The unfortunate part is, that is considered overflow work.  I will be on call for when someone calls out, or feels like a day off.  So, on the days where I get no call I am to report to a branch at 5:30 in the morning and be assigned work.  From what I have been told, there is more work than they know what to do with.  To be honest, I am excited to learn new trades.

I really hope there is work on boats, such as fisherman.  That would be really cool.

Outside of the employment scene, I am going to have to take off a semester from school.  I hate to do this, but I am paying out of pocket as I don't want to collect a lot of debt.  It is about $800 for six credit hours if you include the books, and at this point I just can't afford it.

I hate to do so, because I still have college algebra to take and it is best to take your algebra courses one after another.  I also want to get a bit more in programming.  I should be able to afford the winter semester though, as I will be saving up.

The boat is doing well, I've seen some coleman 5hp long shaft outboards that retail for around $500 new and have been considering purchasing one.  I have a feeling my boat will be in the water soon, and can't wait to take my wife and kids out on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment