Saturday, June 23, 2012

Finally got a job!

Wow, it took nearly four years but I have one at long last!  It actually was my wife that got me it, delivering newspapers.  The pay isn't great compared to my previous job, but it will pay the bills :D  Trucking isn't entirely out the realm of possibilities still, we shall see how well this goes first.

It is a seven day workweek, which is sort of a bummer but it is a job so I am just thankful that I have it.  The only thing that really bothers me, is that she was able to find me one in one month while I have been filling out applications for years now.  She is basically the person that is going to be my boss, she is considered a contractor, and I am her employer.  You see, I don't have a criminal record, I have good references, a valid license, the sort of things you think would appeal to employers.. I'm not really sure why it is that I wasn't given a job through my own effort, but am starting to think there is a lot of ageism combined with sexism out there.  I say this, because a lot of the people I speak to basically are saying the same thing.. middle aged males are just not appealing to most employers it seems.

Regardless, if you live in Florida and are unemployed you have my sympathy.  It is rough in a lot of counties here, just keep on trying.. it may take years, or if you have a wife it may take a month ;)  Also, check out trucking as an alternative, CRST is what I was going to go with (and may still)  check them out, do a lot of research first because they may not appeal to you.  Also, North Dakota has a lot of jobs available in the oil fields - something I was also considering doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment