Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Nostalgic for the old Internet

Back in the 90s, the Internet was a much different place.  There were so many competing web hosting sites, search engines, chat clients, video streamers, video players, etc.  Social media was not really here, sure we had geocities and a few others sites, but it was nothing like it is now.

Web pages did not fit a particular format, it was just a cooler place.  Everything was customized, people would write their own pages, and it was a bit of an art trying to find good sites out there.  I even miss the old web rings.  Now, well now it is all sort of bland.   I don't find myself fiddling around with my OS anymore, I no longer download all sorts of software to connect with friends.. I dunno, I guess things got too easy ;p

Mind you, I do enjoy the new Internet too, I just wish there were more homepages out there written by their owners.  I have been thinking of making my own, and started the search for free web hosting sites.    I've also been looking around for a search engine that is specifically designed for personal web pages.

Since I spend so much time on my computer, and everything is basically trivial, I decided to give Linux a try again.  Here is an OS that can keep me occupied for a while, as I try to relearn it.

By the way, I'm done with the water fast for now.. I'm really looking forward to starting my new job, and having money to restore my sailboat.  Speaking of which, it has been raining here in Florida like crazy, my boat has tons of leaks in it.  I had to wet vac several galons of water out of it,  I can't wait to get all of the fittings removed and sealed.  I also can't wait to build a lifting cradle for her, which will also serve as a shelter.


No comments:

Post a Comment